Please remember to hydrate during this end of the summer heat!
Lake County has issued a Special Weather Statement:
Late season heat expected Monday into Tuesday. High temperatures are forecast to climb into the 90s Monday and Tuesday, possibly reaching well into the 90s on Tuesday. The combination of the unusually hot temperatures so late in the summer, along with moderate humidity levels could result in heat indices reaching or exceeding 100 degrees. Please be safe and drink plenty of water.
The Parent Portal is not open for the school year yet. Important information, as well as access information will be distributed at Curriculum Open House Night on 9/18. Thank you for your patience.
Bienvenido de nuevo al señor Brown, Superintendente
Get advice from a veteran educator on how to help your child succeed in middle school and beyond.
MN Students, here is a correction from dates sent on 8/9:
Mr. Robert Collins, Principal at Hawthorn Middle North welcomes everyone with the following:
The Sept. 2013 edition of “Middle Years” is now available. This month’s subjects include Strategies for Success.
The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy. You can find information at
The Middle North library is available for students’ school work and quiet reading. The following rules are in place for the good of all students and staff.
MSN Library Hours:
Morning: Monday – Friday: 7:15 a.m. – 7:30 a.m.
After School: Monday – Thursday: 2:10 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Friday: 2:10 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Before and After School Environment at MSN Library:
- Students will be asked to check into the library with their ID’s and they will receive a Library Pass. The library is able to accommodate a maximum of 35-40 students.
- We have ten computers available. All STUDENT PRINTING should be for class work only.
- Since we have limited computers it is essential students learn to manage their time for school projects that are due.
- Students are welcome to the library to utilize the computers and resources in alignment with their school projects.
- Students are expected to behave in a courteous and respectful manner to other students and staff while working in the library.
- We promote a QUIET atmosphere and if you are working in a group setting we will ask you to work in a designated area not to distract others.
- Students are expected to remain in the library after school unless they have an appointment with a teacher or scheduled club or sport.
- They may leave to go home at anytime after school after finishing their school work.
- There is no FOOD or DRINK allowed in the library.
- No cellular devices will be utilized in the library. If a student needs to contact a parent or a parent is contacting them they may use the library phone (847) 990-4433.
** Due to the necessity of some planned school functions and meetings, the library may be
closed on some dates.
- Students will utilize their Student ID to check out a book.
- Check out is 3 weeks and they are able to RENEW the due date on the books.
- A 10 cents a day fine will be incurred for books which are overdue with a maximum of $2.00. Afterwards, a students library privileges will be limited.
- All LOST or DAMAGED books will be the responsibility of the student.
Time to get ready! Here are the School Supply Lists
Hawthorn District #73 has been involved in the process of aligning our curriculum with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics since 2010. The content of our math courses at all levels has been adjusted and as of the 2013-2014 school year, all grades from K-8, will be aligned. Below please find the new course names and descriptions for middle school math. Our curriculum remains rigorous and through our articulation with the high schools that our students attend, we are confident that our students will continue to be well-prepared for their 9th-12th grade math courses at all levels.
You can find a detailed description of course offerings here: Math Course Descriptions
Charity J. Trowbridge, Assistant Principal
Lesley Lazar, Principal's Secretary
Laura Rash, Office Clerk
201 Hawthorn Parkway, Vernon Hills, IL Office Hours: 7:00AM – 3:30PM
School Hours: 7:40AM – 2:10PM
PH: (847) 990.4400
Fax: (847) 367.8124
Janet Howard, Nurse
Nurse PH: (847) 990.4415
Subscribe to our newsletter